Friday 11 June 2010

Laduuuuuuuma!

Okay, so I realise that for a blog supposedly about a girly gal and the things she loves, there's perhaps a little football overkill going on at the moment. It's just that I'm utterly caught up in this football frenzy and I'm having so much fun! So indulge me a little - it's not every day SA gets to host the World Cup.

Anyhoo, the World Cup officially opened today, kicking off (pun intended) with a game between Bafana Bafana (ie South Africa) and Mexico. Now, being the underdogs, no one expected our boys to get anywhere. In fact, the only reason we qualified for the WC is because we're the host nation. On top of that, it's common knowledge that the Mexicans are pretty good at their footie. So taking all that into consideration, I fully expected a massacre. 

Which is why I'm so proud of our boys. Final score: 1 - 1! Draw. Not a loss! FANTASTIC!!! After a tense first half, Siphiwe Tshabalala slammed a goal! Woohoo! Then Mexico caught up and equalised the score. But still, we didn't lose. Awesome! 

Tshabalala (second from left) and the boys celebrate the goal with a little diski
(image courtesy of News24)

I'm particularly pleased about this outcome as last night I was out in Green Point and ended up chatting to some Mexican fans. They were a lovely bunch. Not too much English but very friendly. They were saying how they were looking forward to flying to Joburg this morning to watch Mexico beat South Africa. (Ees that a challenge, amigo?) They also said they were going to be wearing Lucha libre masks to the game as part of their intimidation plan. I countered that by mentioning that most SA fans would be bringing their pet lions to the game. To cut a long story short, there was some smack talk so I'm really glad Bafana Bafana didn't lose. Not only have they thrilled the nation but they've also kept my honour intact.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu celebrating Bafana Bafana's goal
(image courtesy of the awesome Daily Maverick)

Later this evening, Cape Town is playing host to the French / Uruguay game, which kicks off at 20h30. This is the first WC match to be hosted in Cape Town and I reckon it's going to be a good one. Images like the one below make me so proud to call Cape Town my home. Just look at our gorgeous stadium! And check out all those fans en route to the game. Magic!

(image courtesy of LeisureHotelsCT's tweet)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails