Friday 28 March 2008

It's the hard knock life

Jeez. It's the end of another week. Funny, with Monday being a public holiday, the week was supposed to be shorter and yet it's been rather drawn-out and painful. Sheesh, good riddance nasty week. It hasn't been bad for any reason in particular - just one of those weeks with a yucky feeling. It's about to get a whole lot better though, cos it's the weekend, baby! I'm seconds (okay, make that an hour and 40 minutes [but who's counting?]) away from my first delicious sip of vino for the weekend, and I'm definitely looking forward to it. Not to sound like an alchie or anything.


I've pretty much been pre-occupied with work lately and so have absolutely nothing interesting to write about. This'll be a short post. I did read a pretty good book last week, though. I'll tell you about it quickly. It's called 'Escape' and is written by Carolyn Jessop. It's the most fascinating story of her life in an uber-scary cult called the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (or something like that). Coincidentally, its leader (Warren Jeffs) is currently serving time in jail which trust me, makes the world a better place. Anyway, the FLDS is a polygamist cult and Jessop describes her marriage at the age of 18 to a 50 year old man. She is the fourth of many wives. Scary. She goes on to bear him eight children, but the hell she goes through finally prompts her flee both her (so-called) marriage and the cult community. (No, I haven't given away the plot - the novel starts off with her 'escape'.)


It was such an interesting read but I have to tell you, it struck every little feminist nerve in my body. It's so hard to believe this is happening in the western world. Though I guess (to be fair), South African headlines are unbelievably gruesome on a daily - make that hourly - basis, and we supposedly also belong to the western world. We merely glance over stories of child rape and family murders - hardly news anymore. Boiling frog syndrome. That's what that is.


Okay, I got seriously side-tracked. Sorry, back to the book. It really does make for an interesting read. You can pick it up from Exclusive Books (or any other book seller for that matter). Speaking of Exclusive's...


I popped into Exclusive's the other evening after work to pick up a book and headed for Woolies afterwards, thinking I'd buy something for dinner. It was about quarter to seven, close to closing time and the store was pretty much deserted. That was, until I got to the ready-made meals section. There I found a whole bunch of single women (and one gay guy) searching the shelves for a tasty meal for one. At first it was funny. 'Check out all the single women looking for lonely dinners' I thought, and then it hit me. I was one of them. I was a single chick looking for dinner for one. Damn, that was depressing. I grabbed the first thing I saw and high-tailed it out of there. Now I know where single women go when everybody goes home to their 'plus-ones'.


Well on that somber note, I'm going to wrap-up now. I'm not off to Woolies to find my dinner for one tonight. No sir! I'm off to meet up with my fabulous friends for a catch-up over vino. (Whew)


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails